Rain Garden

Rain Garden
July rain

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Racing against the Lumbricus terrestris

This last weekend I started noticing that some of the little Walla Walla onion starts were displaced- pulled out and laying on their sides. I’ve had this problem in the past and know that the birds are notorious for plucking them out for nesting material, dropping them at random. (Birds 1, Tarri 0). Hmmm… I can play this game. I replaced the sad little starts and covered the bed with chicken wire. (Birds 1, Tarri 1). Then the last few mornings I have noticed that some of the onion starts have completely disappeared or are lying upside down, embedded in the soil with their roots exposed. There were even a few instances where there were up to three starts in one hole, flailing for their little lives. What was this new foe? (Earthworms 1, Tarri 0). Yes, those lovely worms that I have worked so hard to maintain are appreciating this new dining experience. After all, they’ve only been offered dried leaves and pine needles this winter. They are so grateful for the addition to the salad bar offerings. So tomorrow, rain or shine, I’m going to get the push mower out and see what few clippings I can get from the lawn and line the onion rows with ecolawn blades. I sure hope those soil dwellers prefer grass over onions and we can call it a tied game!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, your very first post and you shared it on the Tuesday Garden Party- thanks, and welcome to blogging!

    I SO relate to your critter woes (though I didn't know worms would go for veggies...) and look forward to hearing more from you. :-)

    -Jami
    An Oregon Cottage

    ReplyDelete