Rain Garden

Rain Garden
July rain

Monday, May 17, 2010

May CSA


TLC Gardens
May 2010


Here we go! The growing season is up an running. No more turning back and changing minds (don’t worry, it was never a consideration.) Things are moving quickly now and I hope to keep up.

The biggest hurdle I have had to overcome this past month is the breakdown of my tiller. I only till at the beginning of the growing season but it is vital to the success of the crop, especially in the north garden where I plant the corn because the soil compacts from the winter flooding. Long story short … my buddy, tiller, could only be repaired with a $350 investment with no near 100% probability of future breakdowns from the same gear issue. To get the ground turned at the necessary time, I hired a person to till for a reasonable price. He did an excellent job and I am delighted with the outcome. My cost? He tilled all three sites at no charge; he offered instead his labor in exchange for my broken tiller. Hopefully he can repair it (tough) and resell it. I wish him the best. This is truly out of my expertise so I am glad with the outcome to a negative situation.

With the soil prepared for planting, I spent most of Monday planting seeds in all of the sites. Corn, sunflowers, Scarlett Runner beans, and squash (including some pumpkins) are in the north garden; other squashes (delicata, acorn, butternut, spaghetti) and pickling cucumbers are in the side garden; absolutely everything else is in the main garden. I have chosen to hold off on transplanting the tomatoes and peppers to the main garden until next week because they are doing well in the cold frames.

Kent and I will be in California from May 19th-24th so Tara will be house and garden “sitting” for me. She has promised to be diligent in caring for the crops and the animals. I know she will! When I return, I will put the tomatoes and peppers out and then everything will be officially planted. Whew!

Are you ready for your delicious delights? I plan to include lettuce, rhubarb, herbs, mint and eggs in your basket. I believe there should be peas also because they are flowering now, but it will all be weather contingent. Plan for your first basket delivery on Wednesday, May 26th. Filled baskets will be delivered by 4 pm to both the Carpenter’s and the Massey’s homes. I have your actual baskets in hand and you just need to make certain that you bring back your empty baskets when you pick up your next delivery the following week. Thank you for assisting with the basket acquisition.

Anytime you would like to come out and visit the gardens, just let me know.

With love,

Tarri








No comments:

Post a Comment